Next: , Previous: octave, Up: Musical terms A-Z

1.169 ornament

ES: adorno, I: abbellimento, fioriture, F: agrément, ornement, D: Verzierung, Ornament, NL: versiering, DK: forsiring, S: ornament, FI: koru, hele.

Most commonly used is the trill, the rapid alternation of a given note with the diatonic second above it. In the music from the middle of the 19th century and onwards the trill is performed with the main note first while in the music from the preceding baroque and classic periods the upper note is played first.

[image of music]

Other frequently used ornaments are the turn, the mordent, and the prall (inverted mordent).

[image of music]


This page is for LilyPond-2.8.8 (stable-branch).

Report errors to

Other languages: English.
Using automatic language selection.