(based on the Yost System)
You could also use Paganini Concerto No. 1, Paganini Caprice No. 18, 4, or
*Intonation Training CD-Track 8 G Major
*Practice in all keys with the appropriate track on the "Intonation Training
Interval Pattern: sBBssBBs = very, very slow!
similé [needs to go onto image]
#1 Broken Thirds (with each fingering possibility 3/1,
4/2, 2/1, 3/2, 4/3)
#2 Thirds (1/3 all the way up and down and 2/4 up and
#3 Thirds in Broken Thirds (1/3 up and down and 2/4 up
- Increases your familiarity and comfort in all positions.
- Develops confidence and accuracy in all positions.
- Develops understanding of what to listen for while shifting.
- Improves your ear trainings and overall intonation.
1. Relax fingers, hand and wrist.
2. Move arm first from the biceps to the new position dragging the hand
and the finger, gliding on top of the string, never pushing forward with the
3. Tune with the biceps before putting fingers down.
4. Use all fingering possibilities.
5. Know what position you're in at all times...say it out loud before you go.
(14 positions total.)
Advanced Version 1
Play the 3rds in broken thirds exercise alternating between 1 and 3 and 2 and
Advanced Verion 2
Using the same fingering from Advanced Version 1, play with an off the string
Watch Videos of Thirds
To view videos, you must have QuickTime
installed on your computer